INSPECTION BSO 2018 – 2ND OUTSTANDING FOR BRITISH COUNCIL SCHOOL
We are extremely proud that the British Council School has received for the second time the highest rating in all areas of the British Schools Overseas (BSO) inspection.
In November 2018 we were inspected by BSO, under the Department for Education of the United Kingdom, with the aim of providing information to parents, teachers, managers and owners about the overall effectiveness of the school and the standards of education. The criteria included:
- Quality of education provided
- Spiritual, moral, social and cultural development of pupils
- Welfare, health and safety of pupils
- Suitability of staff, supply staff and proprietors
- Premises of and accommodation at schools
- Provision of information
- Manner in which complaints are handled
- Quality of leadership in and management of schools
The inspection report concludes about the overall effectiveness of British Council School that it is outstanding.
- All the BSO standards (and, where relevant, statutory requirements of the early years foundation stage) are met.
- Governors and leaders have ensured the British Council’s values drive decision making at the school.
- As a result, safeguarding is effective, the school promotes pupils’ spiritual, moral, social and cultural development (SMSC) highly effectively and it comprehensively supports the ethos and values of a British school overseas.
- Pupils’ progress and attainment exceeds UK averages in a wide range of subjects and across all year groups.
- Leaders ensure that pupils are exceptionally well prepared for the next stage of their education.
INSPECTION BSO 2015 – DISTINCTION FOR BRITISH COUNCIL SCHOOL
We are extremely proud that the British Council School has become the first British school in Spain to receive the highest rating in all areas of the British Schools Overseas (BSO) inspection.
In April 2015 we were inspected by BSO, under the Department for Education of the United Kingdom, with the aim of providing information to parents, teachers, managers and owners about the overall effectiveness of the school and the standards of education. The criteria included:
- the quality of education offered by the school
- the spiritual, moral, social and cultural development of students
- welfare, health and safety of pupils
- the suitability of the owner and staff
- buildings and spaces
- the information offered to parents, caregivers and others
- institutional procedures to deal with complaints
- leadership and school administration.
The BSO stressed that the school offers an 'outstanding education for all students' and 'promotes a strong sense of belonging to both teachers and students work together to turn dreams and aspirations a reality.'
We are inspected in accordance with the British Council agreement with the Spanish Ministry of Education for British Schools operating in Spain. We are inspected using the National Association of British Schools in Spain (NABSS) template and our last inspection was March 2011.
Main conclusions from the inspection:
- the school has a long history of good educational practice and a deservedly excellent reputation in the community and with parents of the school
- the qualifications of the staff and the teaching delivered is in line with good British practice
- the managers of the school are dedicated, experienced teachers who also manage effectively
- the school offers a good British education up to and including key stage four (KS4).
Our school follows the Spanish Curriculum in Bachillerato (Year 12 and Year 13) and is inspected annually according to the legislation on foreign schools from the Comunidad de Madrid and has accomplished all legal requirements.
Health and Safety
We submit our Health and Safety system to an external audit to verify our compliance with the obligations under the Law 31/1995 on Prevention of Occupational Risks. The statutory audit is repeated every four years and is compulsory for all companies with more than five hundred employees.
Our annual report summarises our school year and gives us an opportunity to share more detailed information on our activities and academic results. Download our latest annual report below.